Nice to have skills:
Considering candidates from:
Work arrangement: Onsite only
Industry: Virtual reality
Level: Middle or senior
Visa sponsorship: Provided
Company size: 51-200 employees
Founded in 2016, Varjo creates hardware and software to fulfil the vision of immersive computing. Their virtual and mixed reality products will transform the way professionals work, create and experience reality.
Varjo is known for the HMDs that produce world-class visual quality and mind-blowing VR experiences. We are now looking for a talented individual who can help us deliver the state of the art color quality in our HMDs now and in the future.
In short, your job is to devise algorithms for color calibration and make sure the overall color quality of Varjo HMDs is top notch. This includes areas such as calibration of multiple displays inside HMD to the same unified standard, simulation of the HMD visual path to estimate color quality for potential new hardware, or building tools to assesses the quality of the hardware from colorimetric perspective.
- Implement color calibration and quality-related algorithms as part of the Varjo visuals team for optimal HMD color quality. Work with the real-time rendering team to take all necessary software-side corrections into use.
- Evaluate color quality and overall image fidelity from the color perspective (contrast, color reproduction accuracy, and similar). Maintain high standards internally for color-related processes and be the technical leader on color areas.
- Take part into design process of new hardware, and provide your valuable input for decisions that might affect the color quality of our products. Understand the whole process of how visuals are produced from displays through optics to human eye to make the best decisions here.
- Take part into factory production process by being a key contributor and responsible for the color calibration part of the visual production tooling.
- Design new measurement setups with relevant HW teams to ensure we can capture all key aspects of the HMD color quality from real hardware.
- Be responsible for unit testing, regression testing and robustness of own code.
- Expert understanding of color science, relevant physics, and the human vision system.
- Ability to act as a technical leader inside Varjo for color-related topics
- Strong math and algorithm design skills. Experience with numerical optimization, regression, and overall problem solving in the numerical domain
- Proven programming skills and multiple years of experience working with Python/Matlab/similar language for solving problems in the color domain or related area
- Team player and capability to work with cross-functional teams.
- Good communication skills in English
Nice to have skills:
- M.Sc. or Ph.D. degree in a relevant area (Computer Science, Mathematics, Engineering) is preferred.
- Strong knowledge of display device technologies and optics.
- Understanding of various offline rendering techniques. Varjo relies on various optical simulation setups for development.
- Any experience with various color measurement setups (colorimeters / spectrometers) is a big plus.
- Any real-time/offline rendering experience is a big plus (such as ability to write shader)
- The possibility to see into the future of computing by taking part in creating the new state of art in virtual and mixed reality products and experiences
- A startup culture with minimal bureaucracy and maximum opportunity for you to take charge of your work
- Work with the best, learn from the best
- The possibility to select the tools and methods you want to use to do your job effectively
- Competitive salary in the capital of the world's happiest country
- Premium employee medical coverage with life insurance and disability benefits
- Office located right in the middle of downtown Helsinki
- Intro call with Toughbyte
- Intro call with VP of Engineering or a hiring manager
- Most probably there will be some test assignment
- 3 different interviews (tech+culture) in 1 day
Remote work is allowed for those who are already based in Finland. One can do up to pretty close 100% remotely. They have an occasional need to come to the office, roughly once per 2 weeks (which means anywhere from 2 times/week, on some weeks to once/2 months, depending on what's going on).
Position closed, but we can still help
Check out our current open positions