Nice to have skills:
Considering candidates from:
Work arrangement:Onsite only
Level:Middle or senior
Company size:51-200 employees
Trial period:4 months
Founded in 2016, Varjo creates hardware and software to fulfil the vision of immersive computing. Their virtual and mixed reality products will transform the way professionals work, create and experience reality.
Varjo is known for the HMDs that produce world-class visual quality and mind-blowing VR experiences. We are now looking for a talented individual who can help us deliver the state of the art visual quality now and in the future.
In short, your job is to devise algorithms for visual calibration of Varjo HMDs. This includes areas such as distortion calibration (correcting for lens distortions), or reducing variance of HW in each individual HMD unit by various algorithms to make each device as perfect as possible. You will be also working on various HMD simulation and HMD quality assessment hardware setups to be able to succeed in your job.
- Overall calibration process and algorithms of Varjo’s world-class HMDs as part of the Varjo visuals team. Algorithm development for visual calibration (such as distortion profiles and color calibration) with Python and other languages, prototyping, and simulation of hardware (such as simulating the whole visual path from displays to eyes). Working with real-time rendering team to take these calibrations into use effectively.
- Take part into design process of new hardware, and provide your valuable input for decisions that might affect visual quality of the products. Understand the whole process of how visuals are produced from displays through optics to human eye.
- Take part into factory production process by being a key contributor and responsible for some part of the visual calibration tooling.
- Design new measurement setups with relevant HW teams to ensure we can capture all key aspects of the HMD quality from real hardware.
- Be responsible for unit testing, regression testing and robustness of own code.
- Strong math and algorithm design skills. Experience with numerical optimization, regression, and overall problem solving in numerical domain.
- Multiple years of experience working with Python/Matlab/similar language for solving problems numerically.
- Team player and capability to work with cross-functional teams.
- Good communication skills in English
Nice to have skills:
- Any experience with Python is a big plus
- Any experience with color science big plus
- Any real-time/offline rendering experience is a big plus (such as ability to write shaders)
- The possibility to see into the future of computing by taking part in creating the new state of art in virtual and mixed reality products and experiences
- A startup culture with minimal bureaucracy and maximum opportunity for you to take charge of your work
- Work with the best, learn from the best
- The possibility to select the tools and methods you want to use to do your job effectively
- Competitive salary in the capital of the world's happiest country
- Premium employee medical coverage with life insurance and disability benefits
- Office located right in the middle of downtown Helsinki
- Intro call with Toughbyte
- Intro call with VP of Engineering or a hiring manager
- Most probably there will be some test assignment
- 3 different interviews (tech+culture) in 1 day
Check out the answers to frequent questions about this position below. Can't find the answer you're looking for? Ask us via email or try the company page.
Is remote work allowed?
Remote work is allowed for those who are already based in Finland. One can do up to pretty close 100% remotely. They have an occasional need to come to the office, roughly once per 2 weeks (which means anywhere from 2 times/week, on some weeks to once/2 months, depending on what's going on).